Upwork – Hire Freelancers & Get Freelance Jobs Online : Upwork is a global online work platform founded in 2003. It offers opportunities for web developers, logo or banner designers, article writers, translators etc. After signing up for an account, you have to create a profile that highlights your skills and experience. Next, you can browse for jobs and apply which one suits you. Submit a cover letter that describes your qualifications and links to your profile. Using this information, the buyer selects the best candidate for the job. He may take an interview via email, phone or Skype. If hired, you’re required to provide regular work status update to the buyer and send along deliverables as they’re completed.
Join Upwork in three steps:
- Sign up and select a membership plan: If you haven’t signed up already, now’s the time. Pick the Membership Plan that best matches your needs. Remember, you can change your membership plan in the future.
- Create your profile: Fill out as many fields as possible to create a profile that highlights your skills, elaborates on your experience and indicates your desired hourly payment rate.
- Set up your payment option: Get ready to get paid and tell us how you want to receive your earnings. We recommend setting up two fund transfer methods so that you can be paid easily.
Building a Great Profile
Successful profiles are complete, accurate, and paint a compelling picture of your skills, services and accomplishments. Your profile is your opportunity to advertise your freelance business to potential clients, and you can complete it however you think best. Here are some thoughts on how you can make a great first impression.
Finding the right work
Searching for projects, and setting up your Job Feed is easy, and an important part of getting the most out of your Upwork membership. Again, while you are welcome to do what you deem appropriate, your search will help ensure that you never miss out on those project for which you are a great fit.
- Pick a core skill: Enter a core skill or two into the search bar to find projects that match your talents.
- Set Filters: Use filters on the left-hand side of the search result page to find a more targeted list.
- Add to job feed: After setting your search preferences, add it to your Job Feed so you can have an ongoing, updated list of new projects that match your preferences.
Fixed-Price or Hourly Contracts
HOURLY On hourly contracts, you’re paid by the hour, making this a preferred option for many freelancers when a project requires flexibility.
Examples of projects that can work well in an hourly format include Technical Support and Accounting Advisors.
Hourly contract payments are eligible for Upwork Hourly Protection
- Agree to the number of authorized hours with your client via the Offer Details page.
- Install and track your project time using the Upwork Team App.
- Add descriptions and notes of your work to your Time Log.
- Quickly address with your client, and request approval for, any changes needed to your authorized hours
FIXED-PRICE On fixed-price contracts, you’re paid a final cost for a project deliverable, or set of deliverables. This option can be ideal when the deliverable or deliverables are more clearly defined. Examples of projects well-suited for fixed-price format include Web Design and Mobile App Development. Fixed-price contract payments are protected with Upwork Fixed-Price Protection
- Agree to project milestones with your client, clearly outlining what you’ll deliver, when you’ll deliver it, and for how much of the total project cost.
- Wait until milestones are funded before starting any work on the project.
- Submit your work deliverables through the Upwork platform.
- Make sure you’ve been paid for a milestone, and that the next one is funded, before continuing work.
Tips for a successful contract
- Agree to final payment terms (hours, deliverables and costs) on the contract offers page.
- Confirm that your client has a verified payment method on file.
- Deliver work product through the Upwork platform.
- Only receive payments through your Upwork account.